Video Surveillance for Parking Lots
Parking lots can benefit greatly from the security provided by video surveillance. Did you know that 80% of crimes at offices, malls and other retail outlets take place in the parking lot? Parking lots have unique security needs – with risks for both owner and customer. A comprehensive video security system can help protect both your property and your customers, helping your business remain competitive and your customers satisfied.
Benefits of Parking Garage CCTV
Prevent Theft – Many thieves see parking lots as potential gold mines – miles and miles of cars or personal property that they can take. Visible security cameras can help deter thieves from breaking into cars on your lot, and can help aid law enforcement in identifying criminals who do rob cars on your lot. Cameras can also help prevent theft of store property – shopping carts, outdoor displays, tables and chairs, landscaping, etc.
Improve Image – Customers are undoubtedly the most essential aspect of many businesses. Keeping your customers happy and giving them a sense of safety and peace of mind when they’re shopping at your business establishes a sense of trust and loyalty.
Liability Issues – It’s inevitable that an accident will happen in your parking lot. Whether it’s a car crash, a slip, or an errant shopping cart denting cars, video surveillance is an easy way to avoid costly liability cases.
Remote Monitoring – Advances in security camera technology have made it easy to check up on your parking lot security cameras at any time of day, from anywhere in the world. A system of IP cameras managed by a NVR (Network DVR or Network Video Recorder) transmits your footage over the internet so you’re never far away. This technology gives you the power to act quickly on security issues from anywhere.
Risks of Security Cameras in Parking Lots
Disruptions – Power outages or surges and inclement weather can damage your surveillance system or disrupt recording.
Theft – Thieves may see security cameras as targets for theft or vandalism. A stolen camera or cameras can leave your parking lot susceptible to further crime.
Configuration of Parking Video Surveillance Cameras
Determining your security needs is one of the most important steps in configuring an efficient video surveillance system. The security needs for your parking lot depend on many different factors. Consider the following when determining your parking lot’s security needs:
- What do you see as your greatest security threat?
- What type of security system do you currently have in place?
- Video surveillance is especially effective when combined with lighting and access control (guards, operating hours, etc)
- Do you think that your location contributes to your overall security?
- Do you have a parking structure or a parking lot?
- What has been your biggest security issue in the past year?
- At what times of day is your parking lot most busy?
- Are there any parts of your parking lot where visibility is limited?
Setup Advice for Parking Lots
- Place cameras near entrances and exits to capture each visitor who comes to your parking lot
- When placing cameras, make sure that every area of your parking lot can be seen by your camera’s field of vision. Different types of cameras mounted strategically can interact with one another to create maximum visibility and security.